People always ask what SAMA means. It started as kind of a joke. It was a sleeting, snowy day in early December. My friend and I were surfing a swell in Grand Haven. I looked over at him knowing we were supposed to both be at pre-Christmas family functions soon, and said "We are like Self Absorbed Michigan Adventurers." That kind of stuck, and like many of our friends we have a common passion for outdoor sports in Michigan, and we go out in any weather to get our sessions. He replied "Ya, SAMA!"

So it was born, the SAMA logo was fashioned by another like minded surfer friend from Grand Haven. SAMA is for all of you year round Michiganders and vacationers who know, love, and respect all the outdoor activities there are to do in Michigan. No matter the weather you will find us us out enjoying all the benefits of our unique freshwater paradise.

Wednesday, March 23, 2016


Fat Biking with Baloo from Ben Braymer on Vimeo.

I contemplated for many months the purchase of a fat bike, after getting the bike I couldn't be happier!  The Specialized Fat Boy SE has allowed me to ride from the house more times in the past month than I rode my mountain in the past two years!  It's definitely harder to generate speed with the big tire and all the resistance, but most of us buy bikes for exercise in the first place.  So having my legs work harder is just part of the benefit.  The best part about fat biking in Grand Haven is it enables you to ride areas that you can't ride on any other bike.  An added bonus in lean snow years is they perform well on the light crusty snow that makes nordic skiing a real pain.  Plus, when I just want to relax, Baloo loves to pull me around town.  Not saying a fat bike is for everyone, but for me its gotten me back into mountain biking.  The fat bike is truly a year round toy, and you don't need to jump in the car and drive 20 minutes just do a mountain bike loop. 

No comments: